Regardless of your level of photography experience, books and e-books can serve as a great way to improve your skills with landscapes and nature photography. On this page we’ll feature many of the best e-books and printed books that focus specifically on landscapes and nature photography. Some of the books cover landscapes in general, and others are focused on specific aspects, such as night landscapes. Regardless of what you are interested in learning you should find some excellent resources here.
Landscape Photography E-Books
Don’t want to wait for a book to be shipped to you? Want to be able to take your books with you on a tablet or laptop? E-books are a great option.
The Photography Tutorial Ebook
- Over 250 pages of tips for landscape, cityscape, and trick photography
- Camera settings and gear info
- Includes tutorials on photo editing
- Long exposure tips and techniques
Beyond the Grand Landscape
- A guide to photographing nature’s smaller scenes
- Move beyond grand landscapes to include smaller scenes and intimate details
- 174 pages with over 250 photos
- 12 key creative concepts and field practices to help you discover and photograph small scenes
- Covers the equipment that you need to photograph wildflowers
- How to create pleasing compositions
- How to get flowers sharp and in focus
- How to get the perfect exposure
- How to use focus stacking for more depth of field
- How to post process your photos with Photoshop
Collier’s Guide to Night Photography in the Great Outdoors
- Teaches everything you need to know about how to get amazing night landscape photos
- What moon phases to shoot under
- How to capture star trails
- Stacking images and blending multiple exposures to increase detail
- How to photograph the Milky Way, northern lights, eclipses, meteors, lightning, air glow, lava, and more
- Minimizing noise, light pollution, and elongated stars in post-processing
- Available as an ebook or in paperback
- Read our review of this book
- Learn how to shoot the moon and stars with just a DSLR and a tripod
- Learn about the 5 key styles of night sky photography and the camera settings required for each
- Bonus field guide
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Landscape Photography Books:
While there are a lot of awesome e-books on landscape and nature photography, there are also plenty of printed books on these subjects. If you prefer to have a physical book rather than an e-book, here are some of the best options.
Digital Landscape Photography: In the Footsteps of Ansel Adams
- Learn from Ansel Adams’ working process
- Sections on light, composition, mood, and the darkroom
The Art, Science, and Craft of Great Landscape Photography
The Art, Science, and Craft of Great Landscape Photography teaches photographers how to convert their visual peak experiences-moments of extraordinary natural beauty that evoke a sense of wonder and awe-into stunning images that elicit the same awestruck emotion in their viewers.
Mastering Landscape Photography
Landscape photography can be a solitary experience, but award-winning landscape photographer David Taylor believes creativity requires a certain amount of peaceful contemplation to flourish. What skills or requirements, therefore, does a successful landscape photographer need? An ability not to mind getting cold or wet is one that springs to immediately to mind, but a landscape photographer also has to understand how the weather and the seasons affect the landscape. Navigational skills are useful to find potential subjects. Above all, empathy for the natural world is a prerequisite. Beginning with a comprehensive guide to the choice of cameras, lenses, and other equipment and accessories, Taylor goes on to discuss the fundamentals of exposure—aperture, shutter speed, ISO, dynamic range—and an appreciation of the effects of light on the landscape, at various times of the day and in all types of weather. Practical advice on planning for an outdoor shoot covers the basics of assembling a travel kit, using maps and choosing a location, consulting sunrise and sunset times, weather forecasts, and predicting tides.
Landscape Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- Starts with the basics like light, composition, and perspective
- Covers all the key camera features that affect your image
- Takes you through simple post-processing steps in Lightroom, Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements
- This guide is for beginning-to-intermediate digital photographers
Photography Night Sky: A Field Guide for Shooting After Dark
- Learn how to overcome the unique issues that confront nighttime photographers and capture images of which you’ll be proud
- Concentrates on photographing four principal subjects: stars as points of light, star trails, the moon, and twilight
- For photographers of all levels
Creative Landscapes: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
- Tips, tricks, and technical advice to help you improve the quality of your photos
- Learn to use lighting and composition creatively
- Illustrated with the author’s own spectacular landscape photos
The Art of Landscape Photography
There are many general titles on landscape photography, but few that really tackle the issue of composition in great depth. This guide assumes a good working knowledge of the technical basics—such as correct exposure, filtration, and sharpness—and concentrates on the “heart and soul” of landscape photography: the principles of composition and aesthetic design to convey meaning and emotion. While technique is not ignored, the emphasis is on how it impacts on the aesthetics of the image—for example, using filtration to enhance the mood of a scene rather than simply to balance the extremes of contrast. Because of the nature of the subject matter, this is very much a picture-led book, with numerous example pictures to illustrate the compositional points being discussed. At the back of the book there will be thumbnails of all the pictures used, with a summary of the technical details—camera, lens, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, filtration—to ensure that those who crave technical information are not disappointed.
National Geographic Greatest Landscapes: Stunning Photographs That Inspire and Astonish
A showcase of amazing images that is sure to inspire you.
Magic Light and the Dynamic Landscape
At every phase of the process, from finding magic light throughout the day to making best use of it when you do, this book arms you with the skills you need to succeed—and use magic light to transform everyday landscapes into ethereal visions.
National Audubon Society Guide to Landscape Photography
Tim gives step-by-step instructions and uses pictograms and before-and-after comparisons to provide a complete course in capturing a landscape’s natural beauty. He reveals the foolproof techniques he has developed over decades of fieldwork in a wide variety of settings. Outstanding examples of his photography highlight detailed information on the equipment, exposure, shutter speed and filters used.
The Complete Guide to Nature Photography
- The authoritative guide for photographing nature in today’s digital world
- Insider advice on everything from packing your gear bag to selecting sites, staying safe while working in the field, getting a perfect exposure, composing your images for maximum impact, and processing your digital images afterward.